Center for International Forestry Research
One of a network of 16 Future Harvest centres located throughout the developing world and within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), CIFOR's mission is to contribute to the sustained well-being of people in developing countries, particularly in the tropics. It achieves this through collaborative, strategic and applied research and by promoting the transfer and adoption of appropriate new technologies and social systems for national development.
CIFOR has supported several UNFF elements and is focal agency for the following:
- forest-related scientific knowledge;
- forest health and productivity;
- criteria and indicators for sustainable forest management;
- forest conservation and protection of unique types of forests and fragile ecosystems;
- rehabilitation and restoration of degraded lands, and promotion of natural and planted forests.